Dusting without Chemicals

>> Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Several years ago, I decided that I wanted to make dusting significantly easier, quicker and chemical-free. I suffer from terrible allergies, so I dust several times a week (so I can breath) and I was tired of spending money on dustcloths, dusters (feather, synthetic, you name it, I tried it), vacuum attachments for dusters etc... Plus, I really didn't want to use chemical dusting agents, if I could help it. So. I went on a quest. And, in short order, I discovered the easiest, least expensive, chemical free dusting system ever. I give you....





THE DUST SOCK

The best part about the dust sock is that you already have it! Hooray! You don't have to spend any money!
Go to your husbands sock drawer. Find the holey pair of gym socks he insists on keeping "just in case" he runs out of his other socks and swipe them. Or, when a lonely sock comes out of the dryer, DON'T THROW IT AWAY. This is a gift from the Dust Sock Gods. The sock should be of the thick, athletic type, but doesn't have to be white. Now, how do you use the dust sock? 

Step 1: Turn the sock inside out
Step 2: Put the sock on your preferred hand like a glove
Step 3: Go to the bathroom and get the spray bottle you use to wet your hair or your daughter's hair when it has dried to resemble Medusa on a bad hair day.
Step 4: Lightly mist the sock. It should feel damp when you touch it, but not wet on the inside where your hand is.
Step 5: Proceed to dust. I dust a lot and rather thoroughly so about halfway through my dusting I rotate the sock so the dirty side is on top and the clean side is on my palm. You can get into tiny, tiny spaces using your fingers inside the dust sock glove.
I use this system for EVERY dustable surface in my house; television and computer included. If you are worried about the moisture on your TV or computer screen, you could just use the dry side to do those things.

If you try to polish your wood furniture while you dust but you don't want to buy Pledge or some other aerosol product, try to find wood polishing products that are mineral oil or plant oil (orange and lemon oil are popular). You'll want to read the label very, very carefully to be sure it is safe for your type of wood and finish. If mineral oil products are safe on your furniture, you can purchase pure mineral oil in a pharmacy and mix 1/2 cup with 4-5 tablespoons of lemon juice to make your own polish/dusting stuff. I wouldn't recommend putting this in a spray bottle, though. Just pour a little bit onto your dry dust sock and polish away.

Now! Go forth! Save and reuse your rejected socks! Dust! 


7 comments:

manhattandoula March 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

You are about to get me back on the dusting wagon! I hate it hate it hate it why is it necessary??? But maybe you can convince me. Keep blogging.

Morgan Hagey March 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Brilliant! I am going to dust like this from now on. I HATE using pledge. HATE IT!

jauna,  March 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

Genius! that's what you are! PURE GENIUS!

Anonymous,  March 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM  

I have actually used the dust sock. I put a little fabric softener in my mister sometimes, works like air freshener while you dust.

Unknown March 27, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

Oh oh, another trick I learned is to create a "Lonely Socks" bag or bin so when you have single socks you have a place to put them in case another pair has one get a huge hole or the dryer decides to cough up the sock. This would also be a good place to look for socks to dust with; especially since some of them are kid sized and should/could be used by them. Great tips Morgs, Thanks!

Looking Glass Jewels April 29, 2010 at 12:45 AM  

Oh my gosh, this seems so obvious but I never would have thought of it! I'm so glad I have another reason to steal my husband's socks than because my toes are cold!

Happy Homemaker August 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

Love this idea...will definitely be trying it out!!

Post a Comment

More Moms Just Like Us

A Little Disclaimer

We do not represent, advertise or work for Coca-Cola Classic at all, in any way, shape or form. The images seen here are the sole property of Coke, and we borrowed them off Google Images. "The Diet Coke Diet" is NOT AN ACTUAL diet. Good grief people. Of course it isn't. Man can not live on Diet Coke alone. Woman on the other hand...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP