Book Review-- Handmade Home

>> Monday, August 23, 2010


Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule is written for families and individuals who really want to add that "homemade" flavor to their house and home. Much of it is focused specifically on crafts and sewing projects that either help "make a house a home" OR are projects that parents and kids can do together.

It's a beautiful book! The photographs are taken by the author of her home, her children and her projects. I love this aspect of it. It's not a studio book created by a team of people. It's just her ideas, what works for her and her family, and some great tutorials.

One of my favorite details of Handmade Home is that she is a huge believer in using what you have! She also believes strongly in recycling, repurposing and reusing. Much of her fabric and materials come from thrift shopping and garage-saleing.

The projects I am ITCHING to try (and shall!) are:
Making cloth diapers. I have plenty of infant diapers but am in need of toddler-sized for Mr. Oliver.
The Paper Mache bowls. I think the boys will die of sheer bliss at this project.
Fiber Garland. This is another that kids can help with and I think it'll be fun for the Holidays.
Towel Rug. It's a bathroom rug made from towels. SO cute.

I loved paging through this book this weekend, and am now planning all kinds of fun projects for the kids and I to do together. And the ones that are just for grown-ups (like the Towel Rug) are going to be naptime experiences.

I definitely recommend picking up a copy of Handmade Home! Amanda's first book was The Creative Family, which I haven't read yet. (I bought Handmade Home first because Barnes and Noble had it and they were out of The Creative Family.)

Check out Amanda Soule's blog at www.soulemama.com. You'll be inspired. And get her book! You can order it for WAY cheap in The Diet Coke Store (top right of the home page under the logo.)

1 comments:

The Nelsen Family: September 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

I love herwebsite, I bet the book is awesome too! Except for the cloth diapers part. Not my thing. ;) Though the ones you made are really cute.

Post a Comment

More Moms Just Like Us

A Little Disclaimer

We do not represent, advertise or work for Coca-Cola Classic at all, in any way, shape or form. The images seen here are the sole property of Coke, and we borrowed them off Google Images. "The Diet Coke Diet" is NOT AN ACTUAL diet. Good grief people. Of course it isn't. Man can not live on Diet Coke alone. Woman on the other hand...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP