How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies

>> Wednesday, June 2, 2010

After Erin's FANTASTIC and GENIUS "cookie log" post, we decided it would be indeed rude to not provide you with a way to make cookies to actually freeze.

So, the ones pictured in the "cookie log" post are actually pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

And I didn't make those for this post.

Someday. But not today.

Don't be TOO sad though because I won't lie, these are quite nice as well.

Ready?

Set!

GO!

Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe:
1 cup butter
3/4 cup PACKED brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla (or almond extract)
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips
Makes 4 dozen, give or take.

Now the instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Put the sugars and butter together. (Sidenote: Is there anything better than a PACKED amount of brown sugar?)

From The Diet Coke Diet
Add eggs. (Well, the following picture is misleading. Crack and remove shell, as you add them. Don't just drop two whole eggs in there, with their shells. That would be unwise.)
From The Diet Coke Diet
Cream (which just means run your mixer until the lumps are gone and all is smooth.) I usually run my mixer on a pretty high setting to accomplish this faster.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Add dry stuff and your vanilla (or almond).
Mix a bit by hand to keep the flour from going everywhere.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Then mix it all on medium-medium high until it's gone from muck to cookie dough.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Add your chips. I used milk chocolate today. You can use anything that comes in chip form. Or not. I've used crushed up candy bars before too. That was fun.
From The Diet Coke Diet
(Sidenote: My counters are never cleared off for picture taking. Oh well.)
Mix chocolate chips by hand. I suppose you *could* use a mixer, but why would you?
From The Diet Coke Diet
Give the beaters to the kids to enjoy. Or in my case, my 16 year-old brother.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Much to Oliver's frustration.
From The Diet Coke Diet

And now, the drop it on the pan method.
See, I considered doing beautiful, perfectly round balls of cookies for you. But I don't own a cookie scoop. And the whole point of our little corner on the interwebs is quick and easy, yes? So, without any fancy tools, just two spoons, you can accomplish fine-looking (not perfect) nicely-sized cookies.

Here's how:
No need to grease.
Scoop a nice full spoonful with one spoon. We shall call this spoon #1.
Use spoon #2 to scrap off excess (so nothing hangs over the edge of spoon #1. If you skip this step, you might get little tails that burn.)
From The Diet Coke Diet
Put the spoons on the the pan and use spoon #2 to pop the dough off spoon #1.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Using spoon #2 push the cookie dough onto the pan. Use spoon #1 to finish the job if necessary.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Viola!
A pan full of unbaked cookies. Not perfect, but fast, and done. A dozen fits nicely on a cookie sheet.
From The Diet Coke Diet
Bake for 10-ish minutes. Only you know your oven. One oven I've had baked these in 8 minutes. This batch went for 11, and I decided it was too long.

From The Diet Coke Diet

And enjoy. These cookies are soft, but not cakey. I do not approve of 1. Crunchy, hard cookies or 2. Cakey dry cookies. These are a lovely happy-medium, and they are extremely easy to do, yes?

From The Diet Coke Diet

And I am I only one who despises baking all the cookies once I'm done mixing? I HATE that it takes multiple batches to get it all finished.

So, sometimes, I cheat, and grease a cookie sheet, take all the dough and make one giant pan-shaped cookie. Once it's baked, I cut the giant cookie into cookie "bars" and call it good. I didn't do it this time, but I sure was tempted. It works perfectly fine too. You can thank my mom for that stroke of genius.

Double or triple these for a batch or two of "cookie log" as well. These freeze beautifully.

Yay cookies!

1 comments:

Angie June 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

I too get discouraged at baking all the cookies. Thankfully, I have a double oven and the top one is convection, so it bakes evenly regardless of the rack used. I try very hard to make recipes whose batter can be exhausted in three cookie sheets' worth. That may mean that I squeeze 15, 18 or so cookies on a sheet, but if I can do that, then they all bake at the same time and I am DONE.

Post a Comment

More Moms Just Like Us

A Little Disclaimer

We do not represent, advertise or work for Coca-Cola Classic at all, in any way, shape or form. The images seen here are the sole property of Coke, and we borrowed them off Google Images. "The Diet Coke Diet" is NOT AN ACTUAL diet. Good grief people. Of course it isn't. Man can not live on Diet Coke alone. Woman on the other hand...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP