How to Make Apricot Freezer Jam

>> Monday, August 9, 2010

I am a fan of NOT cooking in the summer?


Have you noticed? 

But when you're gifted 16 pounds of apricots that haven't got anywhere else to be, the necessity for jam becomes undeniable. 
And so does doing it freezer-style, because like I said, NO COOKING. 

Jams and jellies are funny things because they just shouldn't be THAT hard, and yet, you screw one little thing up and BAM you've got soup. It's silly.

So, do as I say, and maybe, if you're lucky, you'll end up with freezer jam. 

Or not. I can't really promise anything.  

The pectin box had this same recipe in it, and called it "Quick and easy" which is a lie, but it is QUICKER and EASIER than the cooking/bottling/canning type. So, there ya go, 
Here goes nothin'

Ingredients: 
3 cups mashed apricots
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1 packet Pectin
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup

Jars or containers with airtight lids of some kind (3 cups of fruit will yield four pint sized jars of jam). 

Now, instructions: 

Mash the apricots. NO WAIT! Pit them first, then mash them. Don't peel them. 
(I did the hand masher thing until it got too slippery, then I pulled out the blender. Many say to NOT puree the fruit, but, I figure do what you want. If you want chunks, then do it less, if you want smooth, then make it smooth. I went for smooth.) 
From The Diet Coke Diet

Add 1/2 cup Lemon juice. 

(Don't skip this step. I mean it, if you do, it'll be sugary sweet you'll want to die. The lemon juice is HELPFUL!)

Add 1 cup corn syrup. Stir it in. 
(I didn't know WHY this was necessary and in truth, it isn't. It's a good thing to do, because it keeps the sugars from crystalizing, which is good and all. If you're going to freeze the jam for a year, then I'd say make sure you put it in, if you're going to use it right up, then it's not the end of the world if you skip it.) 

Slowly (SLOWLY) add the pectin. SLOWLY! Stir, stir stir. Set aside for 30 minutes, stirring every five minutes to make sure the pectin is dissolved. 

After sitting for 30 minutes SLOWLY add the 4 1/2 cups sugar. SLOWLY, and stir and stir and stir and stir until it's not grainy anymore. 
Pour into the jars, cover and let sit until it's set. The pectin box says room temp for 24 hours and I am here to tell you that is ridiculousness. Once it's set and jelly-like, put it in the freezer. 
It's good for a year in the freezer and up to a month (or more, who knows?) in the fridge. 

DO NOT EVER DOUBLE OR TRIPLE this recipe. I had to make three separate batches. The pectin simply can't keep up with the volume of other "stuff." NO DOUBLING. I had three bowls going in my kitchen all at once. 

My oh my is it delicious. Sweet, and summery. I'm really looking forward to pulling jars out in February and feeling the sunshine. MMMMM. 
Oh, and random side note, NO COOKING involved. NONE! 

I know, amazing, right? 

2 comments:

Saimi August 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Nice job!! Absolutely love freezer jam!!

Giggles August 14, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

We're eating strawberry freezer jam right now. I put the fruit in the blender and then I get the pectin that is specifically for freezer jam. I mix the pectin, sugar, and fruit, and then I put it in those ziplock containers with the screw-on lids and put them in the freezer. It's so easy and delicious!

Visiting from MMB.

Post a Comment

More Moms Just Like Us

A Little Disclaimer

We do not represent, advertise or work for Coca-Cola Classic at all, in any way, shape or form. The images seen here are the sole property of Coke, and we borrowed them off Google Images. "The Diet Coke Diet" is NOT AN ACTUAL diet. Good grief people. Of course it isn't. Man can not live on Diet Coke alone. Woman on the other hand...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP