Clothing Organizer Bag

>> Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Well, with almost four kids, I am attempting to streamline our "everyday" things, ya know? I mean, like getting dressed for instance. I'm not ready to pull a Duggars and make everyone wear blue every Tuesday, but still, a little bit of smooth-ness to our daily routine is not unwelcome.


To that end, I decided the best way to get our mornings to be happy times (besides my grumpiness) is to set everything up the night before. But with little boys, "laying out" clothing is simply not an option. It will end up everywhere, all over the floor. 

So, I created these "Clothing Bags," and each night, we'll throw tomorrow's outfit in each bag. It's great! It's adorable, and it's easy. Each bag is assigned a kid, there is no mistaking it. And Sundays? Prechurch? Forgetaboutit! I have big plans for that. We can even put their church shoes in the night before, so there is no, "WHERE IS SPENCER'S SHOE!" I am excited!

To make the bags, I used fabric I already had in my stash, which equaled out to FREE. It really doesn't need to cost a thing! If you haven't got fabric, why not slash up an old pillow case? That'd be SUPER easy!

I did the Nature Bags basically, but on a bigger scale and rather than a strap, I added a little loop to hang on a  hook. Fabulous. 

So, I started with one 15"x15" square and for the back, a 15"x20" rectangle. The rectangle makes the flap, see? Depending on how large your children are, you may need to make a different size. Do what you must. 
From The Diet Coke Diet
I made three at once, cuz I have three boys.

Then I did the monograms. I just used my pinking shears and sewed them on in the middle of the front square piece.
From The Diet Coke Diet

Then the bags got sewn up and the flaps made. I sewed the loops just from scraps from the bags, on the back side, right in the middle.

EASY!
From The Diet Coke Diet
And I use command hooks to hang them on. I purposely hang them up high, because really, I don't want them getting into them once they are packed for the next day.

Some things I learned from this project:
1. Polar fleece DOES NOT work for applique work. No, it does not. It stretches way way way too much. So, on attempt #2 I just used cotton and pinking shears was much more successful.
2. Don't try to sew bags for your kids when they are hungry. It makes Mommy angry, which means I end up needing a seam ripper.

So there it is. An easy way to streamline your life in the mornings.

And if I utterly disappear for a while, well, I'm counting down the days (FIVE) until our fourth is due, so just hang tight. I'll be back, I promise!

3 comments:

BloggingBills December 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

And here's the best news. As long as there is one clean outfit to put in the bags, your laundry is DONE and DONEski. (Thank you Sarah for that life-altering idea from a few years ago.)
MA

Casual Blogger Community December 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

Wait, so we're NOT supposed to kill each other in the morning?

Hilary December 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

That's a great idea, that's a huge problem around here.

Post a Comment

More Moms Just Like Us

A Little Disclaimer

We do not represent, advertise or work for Coca-Cola Classic at all, in any way, shape or form. The images seen here are the sole property of Coke, and we borrowed them off Google Images. "The Diet Coke Diet" is NOT AN ACTUAL diet. Good grief people. Of course it isn't. Man can not live on Diet Coke alone. Woman on the other hand...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP