How to Clean Your House

>> Wednesday, February 17, 2010

HAHAHAH! Search Engines are gonna LOVE me for this one.

So, we had all kinds of family visiting over the long weekend, which truth be told turned into almost a week. And since we were having so much fun, my house kinda got... neglected.

It was pretty bad. I did dishes thrice between Thursday and today. Yeah it was bad.

And I realized that when you ignore the little things, they pile on and upwards until you feel as though you live in  a trash pit of despair. And something HAS to be done about that.

So without further ado (I am SO ashamed!) I give you my trash pit of despair:

From The Diet Coke Diet

From The Diet Coke Diet

From The Diet Coke Diet

From The Diet Coke Diet

From The Diet Coke Diet

I know.

I know!

So, then, it was time to UNDO the weekend of fun.

(There are few websites floating around today that give GREAT advice about how to clean your house, and keep it that way. You might want to ignore me entirely and go Google those... who knows?)

 I fully admit to not being perfect. (You did see the above photographic evidence, yes?) And since I'm not perfect I have various techniques that help me get in control.

1. The "Touch it Once" principal
My dad taught me the idea of handling items the fewest times humanly possible as I clean/put things away. He taught me this because I used to unload the dishwasher onto the counter and then proceed to put all the dishes away. That was a WASTE OF TIME! Put it straight into the cupboard!

And I have applied that sound logic (thanks Dad!) to my own housekeeping.

For example: What is the point of moving a stack of papers I'm going to trash out of my way or onto the floor just to put something away underneath it? Instead, I bring an empty trash sack around as I clean, so there is no excuse for OVER-handling things. Is this making sense?? It is a time saver.

To paint it another way:
Why would make a pile of books that need to be put on the shelf right next to the shelf? Just put 'em away! Keep moving!!!

2. Throw crap away.

I won't even explain this one.

3. Dishes and Laundry
They are NEVER ending. So it makes little sense to ignore them. (Don't look in my room right now.) It's MUCH MUCH easier to run a load or two of laundry every single day than to wait until you have no clean underpants.

4. Things that are neatly piled look much nicer than things that aren't.
See my desk for example?
From The Diet Coke Diet

Much better than the before. MUCH. A messy stack of papers looks like uncleanliness. But a nicely stowed, neatly organized stack on a shelf looks like ORGANIZATION! Nice, eh?

5. Dust and vacuum frequently.
If I am being honest (which it seems I can't help but be, regardless of how bad it makes me look) I need to vacuum my living/office area daily. But I don't. I'm too lazy. I do manage to whip out the ole Dyson 3x a week. And the difference it makes is astounding! I dust probably weekly and living in the dry desert, it could be done twice a week, but I'm just not gonna do that.

But look how pretty!
From The Diet Coke Diet

AHHHH order. SO much better than disorder.

My word of advice after literally doing NOTHING to maintain my household for five days is don't be like me. Take a bit of time each day to straighten, throw away, and put away.

I didn't even touch on the kitchen because this post is too long. Or the upstairs. (Oh upstairs how you taunt me!)

Are we still friends after seeing my house look that way?

6 comments:

Jae February 17, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

Morgs, I might drag out my vacuum once every week. You are on top of things in my book!

Alilcrunchi February 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

I am in complete awe. We clothes piled upstairs that have been there for so long that they don't even fit orion anymore. I have a feeling that that just makes me not have any motivation to even clean it up. I think I just need to wash them and then have a box right next to the dryer where I fold and put them in for the Heritage center. Great post. It made me feel a little better about the mess upstairs. Your house was no where near as much of a dump as our half of the house. :P

Jeannie February 19, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

We like the carpet toy rake at our house (really just a garden rake). My husband pioneered it. Simply rake all the toys to the middle of the room, sort into laundry baskets by room and then hand said basket to an inhabitant of the room so they can put their own junk away thank you very much. Taadaa! Clean living room in about two minutes.

And now that I've seen those pictures, I like you even more and you can come to my house unannounced anytime. :)

Oh, and in case I don't get an official thank you card mailed to you and your partner in crime, THANK YOU for coming to talk to us.

Morgan Hagey February 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

Jeannie- that is GENIUS! A rake! COOL!

And we had a blast, thanks for having us.

Anna February 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

do you have dog? I could actually spot a baby crawling amongst all the stuff so it couldn't have been too messy. =)

Alisa February 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

I'm completely incapable of vacuuming frequently. Again, another good reason to move to Mexico...

Post a Comment

More Moms Just Like Us

A Little Disclaimer

We do not represent, advertise or work for Coca-Cola Classic at all, in any way, shape or form. The images seen here are the sole property of Coke, and we borrowed them off Google Images. "The Diet Coke Diet" is NOT AN ACTUAL diet. Good grief people. Of course it isn't. Man can not live on Diet Coke alone. Woman on the other hand...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP